Monday, October 3, 2011

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Invasion of the Body Snatchers was probably the first black and white movie I ever saw and it clearly made an impression on me. I watched it on TV and I can still remember the disconnect that happened every time the movie went to or returned from commercials (said commercials included Heavy D promoting Sprite, because I am an old man). Some people might consider Invasion of the Body Snatchers to be more science fiction than horror, but in my experience when you're talking about movies from the 1950s there's hardly any real difference between the two genres. In the movie, in what may or may not have been an allegory about communism/McCarthyism, our hero finds that the people in his small town have been slowly and systematically replaced by duplicates devoid of emotions and individuality. The movie's been parodied and remade dozens of times so you're likely already familiar with the story, but if you haven't already seen the 1956 original I would highly recommend it.

Rating: They're here already%

(Image from widescreenworld.blogspot.com)

No comments: