Friday, October 22, 2010

The Thing

Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley and a bunch of other dudes are at an Antarctic research station when they unwittingly bring a shape-shifting alien into their midst, much gore and paranoia ensues. Holy frigballs, I love this movie. Every time I watch it, I wish I was watching it again for the first time, just so I wouldn't know what gooey surprises were lurking around the next corner. And even though I'm a big Halloween fan, this is quite possibly my all-time favorite John Carpenter film. The special effects work by (an apparently coked up) Rob Bottin are amazing.

Rating: 95%

(Image from impawards.com)

5 comments:

DCP said...

I knocked this one off my top 100 movie list for a couple of newer movies I really liked, but if I had a top 110 movie list it would definitely be on there.

Belabras said...

My favorite Carpenter film as well. Something about the claustrophobic paranoia of the film just clicks.

laurie said...

Ha! I totally thought, isn't that the diabetes testing supplies guy..and then there you go. Niiice linking.

DCP said...

Also, one of the only films to break the remakes sucking rule.

Quammy said...

@ Glenn

Too true. The only other one, that I can think of, being The Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart. Not too many people know that it was a remake.