Friday, October 1, 2010

Return Of The Living Dead Part II

31 Days Of Horror Movies # 1

The first Return of the Living Dead was a great pastiche of punk rock music and 80s horror, but this movie blows. The plot is some stupid kids open up a canister of zombie gas and then everybody turns into zombies. The 70s and early 80s had a lot of pretty terrific zombie movies, but watching this last night I realized that this is the precise moment the zombie movie jumped the shark. There's only been, like, two good ones since then. What I'm trying to say is I liked zombies before they were cool, dagnabbit. (They're still cool, right?)

RATING: 45%

4 comments:

Quammy said...

I know this movie is pretty much universally loathed, but I still like it. Even though it's pretty much a retread of the original, going so far as to cast two people from the original in similar roles, I still don't hate it as much as all the sequels that followed it.

laurie said...

What are the two good ones since? 28 Days Later and Zombieland?

DCP said...

@Quammy - That's totally true. While I've only seen 1-3, this is the 2nd best, and from all reports, I never need to see any of the newer ones.

@Laurie - I forgot about Zombieland. I was thinking 28 Days Later and the Dawn of the Dead remake.

laurie said...

Are you fucking kidding me? The Dawn of the Dead remake was terrible! I hated it.