Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pieces

Have you ever looked in a funhouse mirror? The reflected image is familiar yet humorously/freakishly distorted. Pieces is the funhouse mirror reflection of slasher movies. When American filmmakers attempted to cash in on the slasher craze they usually just tried to amp up the levels of gore and/or sleaze in their films, the Spanish filmmakers behind Pieces decided to amp up the crazy. And when I say crazy, I don't mean crazy in a sadistic, violent, mean spirited, especially misogynistic way. I mean crazy insofar as the movie contains, among other things, a random and pointless kung fu scene.

Rating: 62%

(Image from thevaultofhorror.blogspot.com)

2 comments:

DCP said...

I was always drawn to the cover of this in the tape store, but I never rented it. Maybe I'll check it out if it ever comes on Netflix Instant.

Quammy said...

There's a legit DVD version of Pieces out there, but the movie was also in the public domain for a long time, so you can find it on all sorts of cheapie multi-packs.

It's worth checking out just because it makes so little sense. There are several WTF moments in the film that had me laughing my ass off. Also, it's got the guy who played Bluto in Altman's Popeye in it.