Thursday, May 27, 2010

Iron Man 2

Part of what made 2008's Iron Man so enjoyable was the fact that Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark was generally happy to be a super hero. So many comic book movies weigh down their protagonists with the responsibility of their powers. In Iron Man 2, Tony Stark is slowly being poisoned by his own power supply while being attacked from all sides by a variety of enemies, but he still has time to race fast cars and chase hot women. No sad monologues, no emo hair cuts, and no turning his back on his super hero status. While the movie does come dangerously close to overloading itself with too many characters and enemies, it manages to maintain the refreshing spirit of its predecessor.

Rating: 80%

(Image from impawards.com)

6 comments:

Internet John said...

"Hot" is so subjective. I find it really irritating that ole' "Rat Face" Johansson is first up every time I google Vermeer's The Girl with the Pearl Earring.

P.S. Stark doesn't by any chance "feel on some chick's titties while two others caress each other and watch," does he?

Quammy said...

"Hot" is subjective and so is Johansson's hotness. She looks good in this movie, though at times she looks kinda stunned and robotic. It's like on an episode of Seinfeld that I vaguely recall watching, where Jerry was dating a woman who was only attractive in certain lighting.

And though I did not factor it into my review score, it should be noted that there is a distinct lack of titty feeling and sapphic caressing in the film.

DCP said...

IJ, citation needed.

I thought this was pretty good, although the post-credits scene was totally not worth sitting through an extra six or seven AC/DC songs.

Internet John said...

Fuck citations. This is the blogosphere.

Quammy said...

@ Glenn

I didn't mind the post-credits scene only because it justified a really pointless piece of dialogue from earlier in the film.

"I'm leaving. I've been reassigned. I'm going to New Mexico." (DUN DUN DUN!)

I know that guy didn't have a big part in the original film, but he was in the sequel for maybe three minutes.

Also, before the big reveal in the post credits scene, when I saw sand, I was hoping it was a teaser for an Ant Man movie.

Belabras said...

I'm still holding out for the Simon Pegg Ant Man movie.