Friday, February 19, 2010

Prison Tattoos

I deal with a lot of truckers at my job and I've come to notice that a lot of said truckers have prison tattoos. You know what I'm talking about, the faded and hastily scrawled tattoos that look like they were made with a safety pin, a ballpoint pen and something that was fermented in a bucket behind a radiator. Sometimes you see the classic LOVE and HATE knuckle tattoos, sometimes its a crude approximation of a cartoon character and sometimes its just some entirely cryptic symbol. Whenever you see someone with prison tattoos, you can be sure that there's a story behind that ink. You can also be sure that I won't be the one to ask them for that story.

Rating: Depends on how scary the guy looks%

(Image from channel4.com)

8 comments:

Quammy said...

What's worse: checking the blog dozens of times to see if anyone has commented on my new post or finding that the only comment so far is spam? I need to find more things to waste my time on.

laurie said...

WTF? That spam doesn't even make sense. Have you ever asked any dudes about prison? That is totally a thing I would like to do if I ever spent time around ex-cons. (Remembering that I am in no way a criminal atty.)

Belabras said...

I wonder if any of the people with the Love Hate knuckle tattoos have actually seen Night of the Hunter?

Oh, and if Anonymous is a real person, just restart in safe mode.

I.J. said...

Hey Anon, have you ever been to prison? Because if you don't have a record, you can probably get a better job than internet spammer. And if you do, perhaps you have some tattoos you wan to tell us about.

I.J. said...

Ever see that movie Poor Boy's Game with Danny Glover in Halifax? There's a good story in that about a guy in prison who though he was going to get a snake tattooed on his face, but then it turned out to be a dick pointing into his mouth.

Also, this.

Viking Andrew said...

Great post, Quammy.

There's a great documentary on prison tattoos from the old Soviet Union. Those guys play for keeps.

Quammy said...

@laurie

I've never asked any of the truckers about prison, nor do I plan to. I'll sleep better that way.

@Belabras

I'm guessing few, if any, of the guys with the LOVE/HATE knuckle tattoos have seen Night of the Hunter.

Quammy said...

@John

Never saw Poor Boy's Game, is Danny Glover still rocking the lisp and adult braces like he had in Shooter?

@Viking Andrew

Have you seen Cronenberg's Eastern Promises?