Saturday, December 13, 2008

Gremlins

Imagine that you have just watched a movie about a killer Santa that looks like it was shot for the equivalent of $18 in today's currency. Next you pop in another holiday horror classic, and since it is Gremlins and had a lot of money and talent behind it it ends up looking like Citizen Fucking Kane (that's the sequel to Citizen Kane). We all know the plot, but this movie is pretty dark considering it's ostensibly a kids' movie--a lot of people get killed, and the Gremlins themselves meet with pretty gruesome fates (microwave, blender, melting, exploding, etc). This movie, along with Temple of Doom and Poltergeist, was responsible for the PG-13 rating coming into existence, so thanks Spielberg.

RATING: 71%

2 comments:

shoppista said...

This movie terrified me when I was about eight. I re-watched it as an adult and realized it was actually a comedy, and now I can't figure out how eight-year-old me didn't know that. Then again, eight-year-old me also couldn't reliably identify the villain in any given episode of Scooby Doo. I think I was maybe a pretty stupid kid.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

dont be so hard on youself shoppista sometimes i still have to use my fingers to figure out multiplications tables